Saturday, January 25, 2014

Partials Book Review, And My Problem

Hello bloglings! I am here with a book review! *claps hands wildly* I don't care that I read this book ages ago... and that I have already read numerous other books... this book just deserved a review!

Let us go!!!!!

Partials (Partials, #1)
Description (From Goodreads) :
The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them—connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.

Dan Wells, acclaimed author of I Am Not a Serial Killer, takes readers on a pulsepounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question—one where our humanity is both our greatest liability and our only hope for survival.


My Review :
 
When I started this book, I wasn't sure what I thought of it to be honest. Intriguing premise, wide cast of characters and a unique writing style, but I... wasn't positive that this was going to be REALLY good. I felt a bit detached from the characters and the entire story, like my brain just wasn't melding with the book like I desired.

Then, I reached a certain point and suddenly I was screaming about how amazing this book was. Suddenly I would have cared if the characters died, I wanted them to succeed, I was officially attached.

Let's talk about...
The Characters :
Kira. Hm. Kira, Kira, Kira. I just can't decide what I think of you...
Okay, she was nice. She had a definite idea of what she wanted and she was determined to get that done. I can see how this could be transferred into a not-so-good type of stubbornness, but for this book at least it was an admirable trait. I loved how she didn't go with whatever the crowds did, was not afraid of standing up even if it meant that people thought of her as a lunatic.

Lets talk Marcus. He was the "necessary" love interest of almost any young adult novel nowadays. Luckily, they were not all kissy-wissy. YAY!
At first I was fond of his sarcasm and humor but it got to be a bit to much. OKAY, HAVE A SERIOUS SIDE PLEASE! He didn't have any particularly great or horrible traits, and I am hoping for some more character development in book 2.

Then... SAMM! Okay, he was THE BEST EVER. He was brave and kind and awesome... I don't care that he is *SPOILER ALERT a partial END SPOILER ALERT!*   I just plain loved him. But at least there was no love triangle, which I was afraid of at first. Nope. Kira loves Marcus. Good, because I love Samm so don't consider him for one teensy weensy second.

The World-Building :
Spectacular. I hated the world which. in this case equals love. I know, confusing, but if you have read it you will understand. I hope. Maybe I am just insane.

Anyways, neat book, though I can see some people getting lost in the LONG paragraphs, they drag the book on a lot. But I was fine with it.

One Issue : Kira was 16. LIKE EVERY YOUNG ADULT NOVEL ANYWHERE.  Bit it didn't make me not like the book or anything, it was just annoying.

4 out of 5 stars! 


end book review! 

Now, onto Layla's problem.
I HAVE SO MANY BOOKS I WANT TO BUY AND HARDLY ANY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!! I have posted a poll on the side of my blog concerning this, PLEASE GO VOTE. I will tell you what I end up buying, because even if some don't get a lot of votes, I have my eye on a few. So please just go vote!
Good-bye!

Have you read Partials? What did you think? What books have you bought recently?

2 comments:

  1. I voted for Not a Drop to Drink! I LOVE that book. The writing is fantastic and so brutal.
    I gave Partials 4 stars too...mostly for the slowness. I LOVED the characters. I confess...I really adored Marcus. I feel like Marcus was such a nice guy and his humour made me laugh all the time! Samm was equally awesome. I really don't know who to ship Kira with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am currently reading the sequel and it is driving me insane! Ack!
      I really want to buy all of them BUT I know I probably won't be able to... but anything you vote for must be good! :)

      Delete