Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Hello, Books and ALLEGIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for being absent for so long, life has been all a muddle with Ian a state away in College and stuff like that. But, there is a reason I am here to post this. This reason made me laugh, sob, and want to die twenty times over. This reason is Allegiant by veronica Roth, the third book in the divergent trilogy.

 
I first grabbed Divergent on my 11th birthday, while I was at Barnes and Noble. I LOVED it. I even sacrificed an episode of Monk to read the book. I even didn't eat desert because of it. and my, it was worthwhile. The characters are strong and likeable, even lovable (FOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and the plot was complex and intriguing.Tris wasn't whiny or headstrong like many heroines in YA dystopians, she had a brain and she was agile. The secondary characters are much more important than most, I absolutely love Uriah, for an example. It was an amazing (life-changing...) book, needless to say.
I picked up the sequel, Insurgent, just as eagerly. It was just as brilliant, if a bit weak near the middle. The characters didn't develop a ton, but they did enough, enough to keep the book realistic. Four and Tris are perfect, even if that means four's not going to love me too much...

Then came the day. October 22nd. ALLEGIANT WAS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Grandma decided to be really, really nice and buy me a copy at Barnes and noble with (wait for it) exclusive bonus content! Score!
Then I read. And read. And read. OH MY SOUL AND MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM  GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Character development abounds, Four is there, my life still exists. Things are revealed, great secrets, until my jaw is hanging open like it will never close again. We also get chapters written from the POV of Four (!!!!!!!!!) and that just adds to the awesomeness. I was laughing, loving, enjoying.
Then, along came nightfall. People went to bed, but i just sat down and kept on reading through the dark of the night. But then things started happening. Sad things. Now, I have to clarify something for you. I DO NOT CRY WHILE I AM READING. Not at The Book Thief, not at A Tale of Two Cities. I am an impregnable fortress, who stands strong through even the greatest tragedies. but then something happened. I didn't cry. I got choked up and had to force myself to keep reading. I was cracked, but I wasn't broken. Then I kept reading, wiped my eyes, moved on. the book is at its climax. Action exists, peril exists, but everything is going to be ALRIGHT. And then...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! You just broke every rule of books, you just, you just...
I broke. Tears came out. In my eyes, rolling down my face. Muffled sobs since it was late at night. I blinked away the tears, trying to keep reading, but the tears kept coming. nothing was working. I could not live. So I sat for a few minutes. I thought about it. And I kept reading. To tell you that i am getting unbearably sad as I write this is enough to explain my grief. more tears came, though not in the same large doses. The book was over. I had laughed cried and my heart had died. I sat for five minutes, not doing anything at all. Wiping my eyes, reflecting upon life. Do I hate this or do I love it? The answer is love. Because THIS is realistic. This is what would really happen. All the characters who mean nothing don't just die, but all the characters we love live, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE THE IMPORTANT ONES. This is one of the most amazing books i have ever read. If I ever meet Veronica Roth, I might thank her for making my life so much better, even though she also made it worse. 
So, do I think many people will receive this well? No, I don't. I think it's going to be called depressing and a ruin to the series. But to me, it is the opposite. To me it is the perfect portrayal of life and hope, while staying in the bounds of reality. This book is packed full of emotion, and I like that. It is wonderful. So, do I feel like smiling right now and being an entire fool. No. I feel like curling up in a ball and crying till all my tears are gone. But I also feel like this is something I want everyone else to experience, with my point of view, and appreciate it for what I think it was truly meant to be.



I guess this was my first book review. FUN!
Have you read this book? Did you like it? If your comment has spoilers in it, be sure to warn everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An exciting post coming up tomorrow!  Tell me what you think!

P. S.
Veronica Roth's official website: http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/
Divergent Teaser trailer: http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/949128/vma-2013-exclusive-divergent-first-look.jhtml

9 comments:

  1. Gahhh! I haven't even read Insurgent yet. I should get it shouldn't I? :/ I feel bad hat I can't go out and get it.

    Divergent is by far the best dystopian I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, yes you need to get Insurgent!
      It made me smile when I saw that you commented since you're the one who introduced me to Divergent in the first place:) I hope/know that you'll enjoy theses when you come around to reading them.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to immerse myself in dystopian worlds :) I didn't get off to a good start with The Maze Runner by James Dashner--or even with Captives by Jill Williamson--but I am hoping that by the time I get to books like the Matched series, The Hunger Games, and Divergent that I will have a greater affinity for books like that.

    I really like how you already notice that a book is good because of its profoundness. Sometimes I hate it when books end in a depressing manner, but they simultaneously seem all the more fulfilling that way :)

    I think your brother is going to college somewhere in Oregon, is he not?

    Great to see you back, Layla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ian is going to college in Oregon.
      I know you will love these when you get around to reading them, they are undoubtedly some of my favorite books period.
      I read The maze Runner, and I liked it. The characters were a bit harsh at first, but that was what made me especially like the series, to see how they changed and matured.
      Glad someone likes seeing me back;)

      Delete
  3. I read Divergent and FELL IN LOVE! I have to get Insurgent!! I had no clue there was a third!!!!!!!! Im almost done with Insurgent and yes Four aka Tobias is AH-MAZING!!!!! when ever I start reading it I cant put it down!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, seriously. Glad to find someone else who loves Four so much too... I have always liked Four better than Tobias as a name:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Yes he's so brave and thoughtful and strict and I can just picture what he looks like... have you seen the website? I saw it awhile ago and it gave some spoilers.. so I'm not going back till I'm done wit he series. But it had pictures of all the charicters and stuff. You should check it out!!! :D

      Delete
  5. I know I'm late to comment on this....but YAY!!! YOU LIKED IT TOO!!!! I loved how you summed it up saying, "it is the perfect portrayal of life and hope." YES. Plus, it is impeccably good (and brave) writing from the author. I loved every bit of that book. Even how it totally destroyed me. I don't say this lightly, but, I was honestly shell-shocked at the end. I didn't know what to do. I just wanted to cry. AMAZING book and fantastic review, Layla!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, no worries about late comments, I comment on posts from months back sometimes...
      Thanks, I am glad you liked the review :D

      Delete