Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars- I Cried A Lot

I recently read this. I thought Allegiant was sad. I thought The Book Thief was sad. Eh... maybe not anymore.

                      The Fault in Our Stars 

Description (From Goodreads):

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Review, Originally Posted On Goodreads : 

 
I just finished this book. It is 10:16 P.M. My brother and Grandma were LAUGHING at me, because I was sobbing, and that just made me cry more. I am still crying. So I drank a whole water bottle quickly, as if that could wash away the tears. Then I ran to the freezer and grabbed a tub of chocolate ice cream, trying to box myself in, to forget. But if I forgot, I would lose something. This is not something you should forget, will forget or can forget. You might want to. But you absolutely will not. And somehow, that is a good thing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Please do not look at this book and say that it is a romance. I hear the word romance, and I freak out, read a billion reviews, trying to find out if this book is actually worth reading. It puts me on edge because of... certain things. But this is not a story about two kids falling hopelessly in love. This is a story about many teenagers, struggling with their life which is far from perfect. Each and everyone of them knowing that they could just die, ANY second. This is a story about love yes, but this is not a romance. This is a story about life, death, love hate and rejection. How we can keep living when our heart and mind stop. Is that even possible? Maybe, just maybe, it is.

When I started reading this book, I was SO happy. I had just got back from Barnes and Noble with many precious books. I was going to eat pizza, watch a movie, read, eat ice cream, read, read, read. And the book was plain hilarious. I read aloud practically the first thirty or so pages of the book. I had found a perfect book. Right? Right?
But then, as I read, became involved in these people's (NOT CHARACTERS) life's, something started to sink in. THIS IS A BOOK ABOUT CANCER AND DEATH AND WHY THE HECK AM I LAUGHING. Events unfolded and I was getting all teary eyed in the PIZZA PLACE.

"'Well I believe in true love,' Isaac said. 'And I love her. And she promised. She promised me always.'"

My heart shattered right there. Could you pick up the pieces? And I thought I wasn't particularly fond of Isaac...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep : slowly, and then all at once."

How can you not just love that? It just drips of raw emotion, pouring out and flooding me. Because THIS is how everything should be : HAPPY, DANGIT! But John Green hates me. He sure as heck does.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Cancer Is Not A Joke

No way on earth that I will ever laugh at a joke about cancer. Because maybe I have been hiding myself away. Trying to forget. Oh no, lot's of people die from a disease.
But no, everyone has a life. Things they love, things they hate. Family, friends. Hobbies. And cancer, of all things, is NOT a joke.

I find myself thinking for one second that maybe this book was to much. I couldn't bear the cursed thing. What would it be like to know that you were going to die!? How could you live? No irony intended.
BUT IF I HAD NOT READ THIS BOOK, I FEEL LIKE A PIECE OF MYSELF WOULD BE MISSING
This book changed my life. I am still crying. Stop, Layla, stop. But no. People just died. This is no longer a joke.


And so I find that I have not actually talked about the book :( This book was well-written. The characters were brilliant.
John Green, I HATE YOU. But I love you too.

Anyone handing out free hugs? I think I need one.



Have You Read The Fault In Our Stars? What did you think? Did you cry? Excited for the movie coming in June? 

P.S. My next post will not be a book review :) Something much more exciting!  

4 comments:

  1. Here's a free virtual hug. I know it's about as effective as putting a band-aid on a bullet wound when it comes to healing from The Fault In Our Stars, but it's a start. :P

    I. Can't. WAIT for this movie!!! :D Did you know the trailer is coming out tomorrow?!?! All I can say is: O.O YES.

    When I read the end, I sobbed. Then sniffled. Then cried some more. Then I fell asleep, woke up, and sobbed again. I still get teary eyed just thinking about it. :P Though I think Allegiant's ending was worse, but it's been a while since I've read TFIOS, so maybe I'm wrong.

    (I'm currently reading my awesome "Okay. Okay." fingerless gloves that my BFF got me for Christmas on Etsy. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOODNESS THE TRAILER WAS PERFECTION!!!!!!!!! SO CRYING RIGHT NOW ;(

      I don't know, I guess that this book was just so much more realistic to me than Allegiant, I was sobbing after like page 40.

      Those gloves must be great. I saw someone with an Okay? Okay. shirt.

      Delete
  2. I skimmed this because I don't want to spoil it, but I cannot WAIT to read this!! I've heard SO much about it! Also, you have great tastes in books, because I'm also currently reading the Divergent series and hoping to read The Book Thief soon. Just thought I'd mention that! Also, are you on Goodreads? And how can I find you on there?

    ~jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have great tastes in books too, and I am sure you will love this!
      I am on Goodreads, type Layla Hughes in the friend finder, I am the third one down, with my blogger profile as my profile!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete